The Cyclone

The past few days have been a whirling blur of events.

Our house has been just a little crazy.

Eli’s anxiety has been through the roof and so have his behaviors.  Why?  Because his brother had surgery today and he was worried.  Because Uncle John is coming to live with us and we haven’t seen him in 2 years.  Because school starts in 3 weeks and he doesn’t know who his teacher is or who will be in his class.  Because baseball has ended and soccer will soon begin.  But as each event occurs and passes, so to does his anxiety pass.  We are getting better at noticing the signs and helping him through it.  Perhaps there will be no need for the worry doctor this year after all.

We have been cleaning and preparing for the arrival of my brother on Saturday afternoon.  While it has been a chore, it is one that we cherish.  Family is family, no matter what.  We look forward to him being a part of our daily lives for however long he needs us.  We look forward to having him close to see him often.  We are excited to help him find his way.

Finally we had the surgery.

Keegan was quite upset last night.  He still wasn’t convinced that the doctor wasn’t going to remove his teeth.  We talked about the surgery.  We talked about his fears.  We did the best we could to make him calm and at ease.  He still fell asleep with tears in his eyes.

We awoke early to drop Eli off at nana and papa’s.  He was going to help papa with his garage sale.  The rest of us headed off to the hospital.

Keegan was noticeably nervous upon arrival at the hospital.  The staff there was amazing at making him feel comfortable.  We waited in the waiting area for only 10 minutes or so before we were called up to the surgery area.

He was put in a bed and the nurse came in to ask questions.  She joked with him and made him laugh.  They weighed and measured him and I told him I was going to have the doctor put bricks on his head during surgery.  He grinned at that.  The anesthesiologist came in to tell him how surgery was going to work.  She gave him options with regards to how he was going to receive the gas to put him to sleep.  She asked him if he smoked or drank beer and he gave her “the look” and then laughed.  He had a smile on his face when he was wheeled back to surgery – 10 minutes early.

We were escorted out to the waiting area once again.  We were not there long but it felt like an eternity.  Such a simple surgery but still a surgery.  How do you not worry about your child?

Eventually we were called back to the recovery room where we found a very upset little Keegan.  He was awake and wanting his mommies.  He wanted to go home.  He wished he’d never had his tonsils out.

We surrounded him with love and worked to calm him down.  The nurse gave him a pain reliever in his IV and he dozed off for a bit.  We gave him ice chips which also helped to ease the pain.  She gave him his oral acetaminophen with codeine and moments later he vomited.  It hurt so much to watch him go through that.  The most horrible of all sore throats and he’s vomiting the ice chips and medication he’s just ingested.  I just held him close and pushed back my tears for him.

The nurse watched him for a bit longer and then granted his wish to go home.  He was placed in a wheelchair and he started to cry.  He looked at me with the saddest eyes I’ve ever seen and asked if he was going for another ride.  I said yes and he looked sadder.  You’re not coming with me? he asked.

He thought he was being taken from us once again to have more pain inflicted on him.  He looked relieved but skeptical when I told him we were ALL going home.  We traveled the halls and elevator to the door where the hospital valet was waiting with our vehicle.  He looked at the SUV and cried again.  Can someone please put me in the car – I can’t get up there, he cried.

He slept the majority of the way home and a good portion of the time upon arrival at home.  Pain meds were given at the exact hour due after a container of pudding or a portion of cottage cheese was first eaten.  It was relatively easy to negotiate with him to get him to eat in order to make the pain go away.  And he figured out quickly that ice water made his throat feel better so drinking was not an issue at all today.

As the pain meds wear off he is struggling to get by.  It is hard for him.  It is hard for all of us.

The next few days will be difficult.  We have no doubts about that.  We are stocked with all of his favorite things.  Tomorrow will be another day.

For now we are happy he came through surgery so well.  We look forward to a time when this surgery makes the difference in his world that we hope for.  Fingers crossed and good wishes that this eventually helps my baby sleep.  I miss his smile.

About Brotherly Love

I am a mom, partner, teacher and a lover of life. I have two fabulous boys who define my life as I know it. One of my children has been diagnosed with a sensory processing disorder, Asperger's and anxiety disorder. I blog as much about him as I do about my life and the lives of my immediate family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to The Cyclone

  1. Kate says:

    My husband had his tonsils out last year. When sweet wore on him, powered mash potatoes made with z(too much) broth helped. My dad still remembers his mom bribing him to eat a bite of ice cream with every page of a book. Oh, and I don’t know if this is true for kids, but we weretold to make sure my husband got probiotics in the week or so after the surgery.

    Long and short, I’m sorry. It helped both guys I love dearly. I hope it helps your little guy.

  2. debbi henry says:

    Oh the poor little guy! I hate surgeries, but if they help then they are worth it. I’m glad to hear the surgery went well and I hope he continues to feel better!
    I just remembered that when Gracie has surgery, I have Caleb buy her a little gift. That way he feels like he is doing something to help her instead of just worrying about her. Maybe that would help Eli? I know the surgery is over now, but it stil might make him feel good, and it might cheer up Keegan as well.
    Take care!

  3. Patty says:

    Wow, what stress you have had! I hope Keegan recovers quickly. When my niece had her tonsils out, it seems like she felt better relatively quickly, but they did have problems keeping her hydrated. Sounds like you didn’t have that problem, thank goodness!

  4. Lisa Peters says:

    Our best wishes to Keegan for a speedy recovery!

  5. Elastamom says:

    There is no such thing as “minor” surgery when it’s your baby! I’m so glad it went well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s