We Gotta Get Outta This Place!

Any vacation that begins the way ours did truly has nowhere to go but up.  And boy did it end on a bang!  More on the ending in another post 😉

It all began on Tuesday before vacation.  I picked the boys up from summer camp and Eli was laying on the floor when I arrived.  He said he didn’t feel quite right.  I took him to vision therapy where his therapist commented that he was very calm and cooperative today – was he feeling ok?  No, in fact, he was not.  He spiked a fever and we headed home.

He spent the next 3 days with a fever off and on.  He appeared fine as long and the Motrin or Tylenol was working.  He played and ran.  As soon as it wore off he was lethargic on the couch.  A friend at word said she knew several other families with the same thing and it lasted for 3 day and was then gone.  Just a fever, no other symptoms.

Sure enough after 3 days he was good to go.  Wouldn’t ya know it though…  The boys who don’t want to share anything were more than happy to share this virus!  The first day that Eli was feeling better was Thursday and Keegan started in with the fever.

Immediately we knew that we weren’t going to be leaving for the cabin on Friday as anticipated.  We couldn’t make a sick little boy travel 4+ hours in a jam-packed vehicle for the simple pleasure of starting vacation.  We decided to play it by ear.

Saturday was his day 3.  We were hoping for the best.  He laid on the couch that morning looking more than pathetic.  It was so sad to see him.  He even said mommy, I don’t want to go to the cabin until I feel better.  We did the best we could to let him know we would be able to wait for him.

Around noon he seemed to be doing better.  He was running around and jumping on the trampoline.  He was begging to head north.  We quickly packed up and hit the road.

We were about 3 hours into the trip when he started complaining about being too hot.  About 3 hours and 15 minutes before he was freezing.  We started looking for a restaurant to eat at.  When he doesn’t feel good he will only eat mac & cheese and McD’s just doesn’t offer that.

We settled on a Bob Evans about 45 minutes away from the cabin.  He asked for a milkshake and we obliged.  750 calories in a glass surely couldn’t hurt.  And, surprisingly, he chose his other comfort food for dinner.  Chocolate Chip Pancakes.  All of this, of course, was precluded by a Motrin to stop the heat.

We arrived at the cabin much later than anticipated but were happy just to be there.  We snuggled down early for a good nights sleep.  Keegan and I slept in the full size bed together and my honey and Eli took the bunk beds.  I wanted to be certain that Keegan was ok.

I woke up around 4am to my bed shaking.  It took me a moment to realize that Keegan was next to me shaking.  I reached over and he was hot to touch.  I tried to cover him with the sheet but it only made it worse.  I grabbed a queen size **fleece blanket that happened to be at the end of my bed and wrapped him in it.  I quickly got up and got him a Motrin and some water.  Then I wrapped him again and held him in my arms rocking him back and forth, waiting for the 20 minutes to tick by for the Motrin to start working.  Eventually his body stopped shaking, he relaxed and stretched out.  Then he got hot.

**I have to add here that for the 2nd time in 7+ years we ran the air conditioner in the cabin.  It was on, in fact, when we arrived.  Anyone who knows my MIL knows that means it’s freaky hot because she never turns on the air!  So, imagine the sweat rolling across my body as I held my feverish boy in a plush fleece blanket in the very back of the cabin where the small room air conditioner unit in the living room simply doesn’t reach.  When he got hot he asked to move to the living room to sleep.  I practically ran at the chance to move to a cooler area!

He awoke the next morning (Sunday) feeling no worse for the wear.  His fever was gone.  His 3 days had been served.  He was better.

The boys were anxious to get into the blow up pool that has been around since the first cabin summer.  It was still hot enough for Satan to peek his head around looking for some new land to build on.  It was like heaven for them to be able to hang in that pool.

They were in the pool off and on all day.  The remainder of the day was spent in the natural cabin way.  Digging in the sand and hunting for bugs.

We ended the day by getting to see friends we haven’t seen in ages, who only live 30 minutes from us and who happened to fall on some misfortune in northern Michigan that we were able to help them with.

Throughout the day we noticed that Keegan’s cheeks were pretty red.  We figured it was after effects of the virus and would go away.  Monday morning rolled around and we realized that he was covered head to toe in a rash.


Thank goodness for cell phones with internet access and Google.  Off to the Urgent Care center we went.  The pediatrician’s office was concerned about Strep and so was I.

We walked into the Urgent Care center which also serves as a pain management center.  It was 10:35 am.  The receptionist looked up from the desk and asked if she could help us.  I explained our situation and the concerns we had.  Mam, we stop taking walk-ins at 10am.


But…  since he’s just a baby we’ll make an exception.

I adore small town people!

They had us in and out in an hour.  That’s certainly faster than a sick call at the pediatrician’s office!  The rapid strep test was negative.  The rash was, indeed, an after effect of the virus.  The plan was to give him Children’s Claritin until the rash was gone.  Should be another day or two at the most.

Since we were in town anyway, we bought the groceries that we needed to buy and headed back to await the arrival of my BIL and nephew.  We continued to hope for the best regarding the rash.

We were on vacation and still waiting for vacation to begin.



About Brotherly Love

I am a mom, partner, teacher and a lover of life. I have two fabulous boys who define my life as I know it. One of my children has been diagnosed with a sensory processing disorder, Asperger's and anxiety disorder. I blog as much about him as I do about my life and the lives of my immediate family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to We Gotta Get Outta This Place!

  1. Ah, this sounds like one of the vacations at Chez T. Hugs to you and the little sickies.

  2. Kate says:

    So glad the clinic let y’all in, but what a way to start your vacation!

  3. Debbi Henry says:

    I can imagine how anxious you were to get on the road and start your vacation, only having to wait for him to feel better. I hope he was all better after that trip to the doctor!
    Gracie had a fever the other day, just low grade. She was fine, just the fever, and it only lasted that one day. Weird.
    Can’t wait to hear more about your trip and to see more pictures!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s